Home is where we find comfort in small gestures… like a plate of cookies waiting for you on a kitchen counter!
Here at Ronald McDonald House, we want the families who stay with us to have that feeling of home, which is why our volunteer bakers are so valuable!
Each day, they whip up fresh batches of cookies and squares. These treats are set out on the kitchen island, waiting for our families when they return from appointments at the hospital.
One of our fabulous bakers, Chawn, recently took a creative approach to a basic cookie recipe. She blended the popular tastes of popcorn and toffee. The result was the talk of the House for days afterward!
Chawn’s recipe is below, from our House to yours! Enjoy!
Salted Toffee Popcorn Cookies
2 tbsp Crisco®, canola or vegetable oil
¼ cup popcorn kernels or
4 cups popped popcorn
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 pkg Chipits Skor Toffee Bits
½ cup Sugar in the Raw
½ tsp. Kosher or sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cookie Batter: Place oil and popcorn kernels in the bottom of a medium saucepan. Cover pan leaving lid slightly ajar and place over medium heat. When popping slows, remove pan from heat. Remove any un-popped kernels and cool.
3. Cream butter and sugars together until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Mix until flour mixture is incorporated into butter mixture. Fold in toffee bits and popcorn until well combined.
5. Topping: Combine sugar and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
6. Roll 1 heaping tbsp. of dough into a ball and coat in reserved sugar mixture. Place 2” apart on prepared baking sheets. Press dough down slightly.
7. Bake in preheated oven, 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden.Transfer cookies to wire rack and cool completely. Enjoy!